Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Over Rice
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 links fresh Italian sausage with peppers and onion (or andouille)
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16-oz) bag frozen vegetable gumbo blend (okra, corn, onions, celery, bell peppers)
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 (32-oz) box low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10-oz) bag cooked chicken pieces
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
2 (10-oz) cans milder diced tomatoes/green chiles (undrained)
2 teaspoons browning sauce
12 oz peeled/deveined medium shrimp (thawed; optional)
- Chop onion into large pieces.
- Cut sausage into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare rice following package instructions.
- Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Add oil; then add sausage; cook and stir 2 minutes or until browned. Add onions, gumbo blend, and Creole seasoning; cook 1 minute.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to blend. Add broth, a little at a time, while stirring; bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer; stir in chicken, Worcestershire, tomatoes with chiles, browning sauce, and shrimp (if using). Simmer 8–10 minutes or until thickened and shrimp are opaque. Serve over rice.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 600kcal; FAT 18g; CHOL 150mg; SODIUM 1300mg; CARB 68g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 38g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 20%; CALC 10%; IRON 25%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, cornbread, and pecan pie for dessert.
- For a less spicy version, omit tomatoes with chiles and substitute canned diced tomatoes.
Recipe Version seaf0134