Chicken Penne With Fennel
1 cup fennel (thinly sliced)
1-oz bag fresh basil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1.75 lb)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups penne (or other medium) pasta
1 cup fresh pre-diced onions
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (24-oz) jar marinara pasta sauce
- Bring water to boil for pasta.
- Remove leafy green top from fennel; slice fennel bulb.
- Stack basil leaves; slice into thin strips.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces (wash hands). Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan then add chicken; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until browned. Cook pasta following package instructions.
- Stir in onions, fennel, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Stir in pasta sauce; cook 3–4 minutes or until sauce is hot. Toss sauce with pasta; top with basil and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 440kcal; FAT 12g; CHOL 125mg; SODIUM 820mg; CARB 30g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 47g; VIT A 25%; VIT C 35%; CALC 20%; IRON 15%
Utensils & Cookware
- large stock pot
- large sauté pan
- cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
- Complete your meal with green beans, warm garlic bread, and tiramisu for dessert.
- You can make a delicious salad with the remaining fennel. Combine with spinach and oranges, then toss with a citrus vinaigrette.
Recipe Version past0048