Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 chilled Deli rotisserie chicken
1 jalapeņo pepper, finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 (32-oz) boxes reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon adobo with pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
5 cups bite-size corn tortilla chips (about 5 oz
- Remove chicken from bones; chop coarsely (about 4 cups).
- Chop jalapeños; add to chicken.
- Slice onions. Cut avocado into bite-size pieces.
- Combine broth, adobo, and pepper in large stockpot; bring to a boil on medium-high.
- Combine water and cornstarch. Stir chicken and cornstarch mixtures into broth; let boil 2–3 minutes, stirring often, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove soup from heat; squeeze juice of lime into soup. Stir in butter, avocados, and green onions. When ready to serve, stir in tortilla chips or line serving bowls with chips and spoon soup over chips. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 380kcal; FAT 23g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 690mg; CARB 21g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 26g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 15%; CALC 4%; IRON 8%
Fried Chile Cheese
1 (12-oz) round queso fresco (cheese)
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Complete seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil (+ additional for dipping)
- Cut cheese into eight wedges; then cut across each wedge to, but not through, outer edge.
- Chop jalapeño.
- Fill each cheese wedge with peppers (about 1/2 teaspoon); press cheese together to close.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Combine flour and Complete seasoning; coat cheese, shaking off any excess.
- Place oil in pan, then add cheese; cook 15–30 seconds on all sides or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent towels; serve with olive oil for dipping.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 250kcal; FAT 22g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 470mg; CARB 2g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 12g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 2%; CALC 40%; IRON 0%
- Complete your meal with salsa, fresh salad blend, and guava (or fruit) pastry for dessert.
- The cheese wedges can be prepared through step 1 and refrigerated one day in advance. Coat with flour mixture just before cooking.
Recipe Version soup0081