Cowboy Steaks and Onion Shrimp
1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
1 tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup cooked bacon pieces
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1/4 cup marinade for chicken
4 shrimp skewers
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (such as sirloin, ribeye, strip)
1/4 cup French-fried onions
- Preheat grill (or grill pan). Combine tomato paste, pepper sauce, cumin, bacon, and 2 tablespoons oil; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil and marinade until well blended; brush one-half of the mixture over both sides of shrimp.
- Place steaks on grill (or in grill pan); grill 2–3 minutes on each side or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Top steaks with tomato mixture; cover and grill 1–2 more minutes or until topping is warm. Remove steaks from heat; let stand 5–10 minutes.
- Place shrimp on grill; cook 1–2 minutes on each side, brushing with remaining half of marinade mixture, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Crush onions; sprinkle over shrimp. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 570kcal; FAT 38g; CHOL 160mg; SODIUM 680mg; CARB 9g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 44g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 4%; CALC 4%; IRON 15%
Barbecue Potato Bake
1 (32-oz) package refrigerated mashed potatoes
2/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine potatoes, barbecue sauce, and pepper; transfer to 2-quart baking dish. Top with cheese and then onions; cover loosely with foil. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove foil from potatoes; bake 5–10 more minutes or until onions are crisp. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 290kcal; FAT 16g; CHOL 30mg; SODIUM 1030mg; CARB 31g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 0%; CALC 10%; IRON 2%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend, corn bread, and carrot cake for dessert.
- The type of barbecue sauce you use (sweet, spicy, or smoky) will affect the flavor of the potatoes.
Recipe Version 06/11-0047