PBJ French Toast
8 slices whole grain bread
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)
1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
1 teaspoon butter
4 tablespoons peanut butter, divided
4 tablespoons grape jelly, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
4 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- Toast 4 slices of the bread in toaster. Whisk eggs and milk in medium bowl until well blended. Toast remaining bread slices.
- Melt butter in large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 1–2 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on one slice of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon jelly on another slice of bread. Assemble slices to form a sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into egg mixture (coating both sides evenly); let excess mixture drip back into bowl. Place sandwiches in pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half; sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with maple syrup and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 390kcal; FAT14g; CHOL 110mg;
SODIUM 380mg; CARB 56g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 13g;
VIT A 4%; VIT C 0%; CALC 10%; IRON 15%
2 bananas (rinsed)
2 cups individually frozen strawberries, no sugar added (do not thaw)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Remove peel from bananas; place bananas in blender. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pulse and then blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into serving glasses and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 130kcal; FAT 2g; CHOL 5mg;
SODIUM 40mg; CARB 26g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 4g;
VIT A 4%; VIT C 60%; CALC 10%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- large nonstick sauté pan
- medium bowl
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
This is a great recipe for weekends and taking the time to cook together as a family. Or for a treat, serve breakfast for dinner one weeknight. Try sprinkling a little confectioners’ sugar over the French toast just before serving.
Recipe Version kids0008