Chicken in a Biscuit
2 cups frozen diced chicken breast, thawed (or use leftover chicken)
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 2/3 cup reduced-fat milk, divided
2 cups biscuit baking mix
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. If using leftover chicken, tear or cut into bite-size pieces. Place chicken in large bowl.
- Stir in vegetables, soup, and 1 cup of the milk; mix well. Spoon into ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine biscuit baking mix, remaining 2/3 cup milk, and cheese in large bowl; mix well. Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into 9 biscuits, about 1 inch apart, on top of chicken mixture. Flatten dough (using back of spoon) to about 3/4-inch thick. Bake 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden and chicken mixture is thoroughly heated. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 350kcal; FAT 14g; CHOL 40mg;
SODIUM 1100mg; CARB 36g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 18g;
VIT A 15%; VIT C 2%; CALC 20%; IRON 8%
2 (12-ounce) bags frozen dark sweet cherries
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or apple pie spice)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place cherries in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until defrosted. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Drain cherries and return to bowl; stir in cinnamon (or apple pie spice) and cornstarch until well blended. Spoon cherry mixture into baking dish.
- Place butter in same bowl; microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Use fork to stir in oats, brown sugar, and flour; mix well and sprinkle over cherry mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
NOTE: To make this dessert even more special, top with a scoop of Publix Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 290kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 20mg;
SODIUM 70mg; CARB 54g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 4g;
VIT A 10%; VIT C 2%; CALC 4%; IRON 8%
Utensils & Cookware
- two 2-quart baking dishes
- microwave-safe bowl
- mixing bowls, cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
To get that restaurant "cheesy garlic" taste, mix 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Brush on the biscuits after cooking; sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Recipe Version R-09/07-0028