Sirloin Steaks and Vegetables
1/2 red onion
6 large white mushroom caps
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds top sirloin filet steaks
3/4 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
10–12 sprigs fresh thyme (rinsed)
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Rinse all vegetables, remove and discard ends, peel, and seeds, as needed. Cut vegetables into halves or quarters. (If using outdoor grill, larger pieces are easier to manage while grilling. If using tabletop grill, cut again into 2-inch chunks.) Place in large bowl; add 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss or stir until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle both sides of steaks with steak seasoning and place on grill, using tongs; add vegetables. Close lid (or cover with foil) and grill steaks 5-8 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (for medium-rare). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure desired doneness. Meanwhile, turn vegetables occasionally and cook until crisp-tender or desired tenderness. Cook time may be slightly more or less than for steaks. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)
- Cut vegetables, if desired, and place on serving platter. Chop thyme leaves finely (1 tablespoon); sprinkle over vegetables. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cut steak diagonally into thin slices and arrange over vegetables. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 510kcal; FAT 38g; CHOL 90mg; SODIUM 510mg; CARB 6g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 37g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 60%; CALC 6%; IRON 20%
Buffalo Mashed Potatoes
1 (24-ounce) package refrigerated mashed potatoes
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, divided
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons Buffalo wing sauce
- Combine all ingredients (except 1 tablespoon blue cheese) in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes. Stir and heat 2-3 more minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining blue cheese. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 250kcal; FAT 17g; CHOL 35mg; SODIUM 810mg; CARB 21g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 2%; CALC 8%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- grill, grilling tongs
- microwave-safe bowl with lid
- large bowl, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
For best results, cook steaks initially on hottest part of grill to mark outsides. Move steaks to slower side of grill to finish cooking, for tenderness.
Recipe Version 06/06-0041