Fresh Berry Pavlova
8 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Place racks in center of oven and bottom third of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and draw an 8-inch circle on the paper.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Start adding the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat, on high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff and shiny peaks.
- Gently fold in vanilla extract, vinegar, and cornstarch. Divide the meringue inside the 2 circles drawn on the parchment paper, smoothing the edges.
- Bake 60-75 minutes or until the outside is dry and a very pale cream color. Turn the oven off, leave the door slightly open to let the meringue cool completely in the oven.
- Just before serving, gently place the meringue on a serving plate. Whip the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mound half of the softly whipped cream into the center of the meringue. Arrange half of the berries over the cream. Then top with the other meringue and repeat with remaining cream and berries.
Recipe Version misc0048-d