Entertaining Sides - Smoked Salmon Spread, Sweet Onion Kielbasa and Hot Artichoke Dip
Total Time - 10, 20 and 45 minutes (in order) / Makes 12 (each recipe) Servings
These appetizers work well together or individually. To create a full buffet for a party, use all three recipes, including the serving suggestions. The salmon spread can be made early in the day. On the day of your party, pick up a sandwich platter from the Publix Deli along with a meat and cheese platter. Add a platter of fresh fruit and one of fresh vegetables. Complete your buffet with one or more Publix Bakery dessert platters and a holiday centerpiece from the Floral department. Then spend about an hour preparing the hot recipes. While the artichoke dip bakes, you will have time to take care of those last minute details.
Smoked Salmon Spread
4 green onions + additional for garnish
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (4 1/2-ounce) package smoked salmon (skin removed)
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Chop (rinsed) green onions finely and place with remaining ingredients in food processor. Pulse until well blended, scraping down sides, if needed.
- Transfer to serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with additional chopped green onions and serve with crackers, bagels or fresh vegetables.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 68kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 18mg; SODIUM 237mg; CARB <1g; FIBER <1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 1%; VIT C 2%; CALC 2%; IRON 0%
Sweet Onion Kielbasa
2 (1-pound) packages pork and beef kielbasa
1 (12-ounce) jar sweet Vidalia onions in sauce
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
1/2 cup mild pepper rings
1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- Cut kielbasa diagonally into bite-size pieces (about 1/2-inch thick). Combine all ingredients in large saucepan; cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 10–15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker to keep warm while serving. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 326 kcal; FAT 23g; CHOL 33mg; SODIUM 876mg; CARB 20g; FIBER <1g; PROTEIN 9g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 6%; CALC 0%; IRON 3%
Hot Artichoke Dip
2 green onions
1 pound country-style sausage
1 cup refrigerated light Alfredo sauce, divided
3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
1 (16-ounce) container Deli artichoke dip
3 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
20 round buttery type crackers
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Chop (rinsed) green onions finely.
- Place onions and sausage in pan; wash hands. Cook 5–7 minutes until sausage is brown and no pink remains. Stir frequently and break up meat as it cooks. Transfer sausage to 8-inch square baking dish. Stir in 1/2 cup Alfredo sauce.
- Combine in medium bowl, remaining 1/2 cup Alfredo sauce, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, artichoke dip, pimientos and egg. Spoon mixture over sausage.
- Crush crackers while sprinkling over top. Bake 25–30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 2–3 more minutes until cheese melts. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 280kcal; FAT 21g; CHOL 72mg; SODIUM 749mg; CARB 8g; FIBER <1g; PROTEIN 15g; VIT A 11%; VIT C 13%; CALC 14%; IRON 5%
Utensils & Cookware
- food processor
- slow cooker (optional)
- large saucepan with lid
- large sauté pan
- 8-inch square baking dish
- mixing bowl
- cooking spoons
- rubber spatula
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Serve with chips for dipping and you'll have a happy, full crowd.
Recipe Version apet0006