Sausage and Pepper Ziti
1/2 red onion
1 pound mild Italian sausage links
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces ziti pasta
1 (26-ounce) jar tomato/basil pasta sauce
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles (regular or milder)
1 (12-ounce) jar fried peppers and onions (undrained)
1. Fill large saucepan 1/2 full of water. Cover and bring to boil on high for pasta. Cut onion into very thin strips. Cut Italian sausage into bite-size pieces.
2. Preheat second large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil, onions, and sausage in saucepan; cook 5–7 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is brown.
3. Stir pasta into boiling water. Boil 10–12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to sausage; reduce to low and simmer 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
5. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Serve.
Note: Omitting the pasta reduces the carb count to 17g net carbs. Consider serving over low-carb pasta.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 811kcal; FAT 46g; CHOL 86mg; SODIUM 2046mg; CARB 69g; FIBER 8g; PROTEIN 27g; VIT A 38%; VIT C 234%; CALC 14%; IRON 34%
American Side Salad
6 ounces American salad blend (about 3 cups)
1/3 cup radishes (rinsed)
1 cucumber (rinsed)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1. Place salad blend into salad bowl.
2. Using clean knife and cutting board, slice radishes and cucumbers into bite-size pieces. Add with tomatoes to salad.
3. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 72kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 88mg; CARB 7g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 1g; VIT A 24%; VIT C 31%; CALC 3%; IRON 3%
Utensils & Cookware
- 2 large saucepans (1 with lid)
- salad bowl, colander
- cooking spoons, tongs
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Save 3–5 minutes of preparation time by omitting the onion slices or use 1/4 cup pre-diced onions.
Recipe Version past0001