Country Garden Chicken
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup chicken breading mix
1 lb boneless chicken cutlets
1 tablespoon + 1 cup water, divided
1/4 cup pre-diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup pre-diced green peppers
1/4 cup pre-diced red onions
2 teaspoons vegetable seasoning blend
1 (1.32-oz) packet country gravy mix
- Place oil in large sauté pan; heat on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place breading mix in shallow bowl. Moisten chicken with 1 tablespoon of the water. Coat chicken on both sides, one piece at a time, by pressing into breading mix with fingertips. (For thicker breading, coat twice.)
- Place chicken in hot oil; cook 6–8 minutes, turning occasionally, or until crisp and golden. Remove chicken from pan; cover to keep warm.
- Stir tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and vegetable seasoning into pan with drippings. Cook on medium-high 2–3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in gravy mix and gradually add remaining 1 cup water, stirring continually, or until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce over chicken.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 320kcal; FAT 16g; CHOL 65mg; SODIUM 1330mg; CARB 16g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 24g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 20%; CALC 2%; IRON 6%
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups instant grits
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Combine all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring once, or until water is absorbed. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 350kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 240mg; CARB 44g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 14g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 0%; CALC 30%; IRON 15%
- Complete your meal with okra, cornbread, and apple pie for dessert.
- About half of the sodium in the chicken recipe comes from the breading mix. You can reduce the sodium if you choose to only lightly coat the chicken before cooking.
Recipe Version poul0049