Pan-Sauced Pork Chops
1/4 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
4 (1-in thick) boneless pork chops (1 1/2 lb)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 (.87-oz) packet pork gravy mix
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup whole milk
- Slice green onions (1/4 cup).
- Season pork chops with salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub 1 tablespoon gravy mix onto both sides of pork chops (wash hands).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add pork chops; cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until pork is 145°F. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add milk then whisk in remaining gravy mix. Simmer 1–2 minutes, whisking continually, or until sauce thickens. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and green onions. Serve sauce over pork chops and black-eyed pea cakes.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 380kcal; FAT 21g; CHOL 100mg; SODIUM 660mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 35g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 2%; CALC 15%; IRON 6%
Black-Eyed Pea Cakes
1/2 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped
1 (8-oz) tub light chive/onion cream cheese
1 (8-oz) package dry hush puppy mix
2 cans black-eyed peas (15–16 oz each); rinsed, divided
1/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons green pepper sauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
- Chop green onions (1/2 cup).
- Place in food processor: cream cheese, hush puppy mix, 1 can of peas, milk, pepper sauce, and green onions; pulse until combined. Transfer mixture to medium bowl; stir in remaining 1 can of peas. Form mixture into twelve 4-inch patties (or drop into pan by rounded spoonfuls).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add 3–4 patties; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until hot and browned. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 340kcal; FAT 14g; CHOL 20mg; SODIUM 1180mg; CARB 44g; FIBER 5g; PROTEIN 12g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 8%; CALC 20%; IRON 15%
- Complete your meal with collard or turnip greens, corn bread, and pecan pie for dessert.
- Don't care for black-eyed peas? You can make the cakes with pinto or black beans.
Recipe Version 12/13-0084