Steaks Béarnaise Over Potato Cakes
2 cups prepared sour cream and chive mashed potatoes
1/3 cup cooked bacon pieces
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (NY-strip, skirt, or ribeye)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 bag fresh spinach (8–10 oz)
1 (10-oz) container roasted garlic cooking crème, divided
2 tablespoons béarnaise sauce mix
- Combine potatoes, bacon, cheese, 2 tablespoons flour (or more, if potatoes too soft), and egg until blended. Form into six patties. Place 1/2 cup flour on plate; coat both sides of patties with flour. Set aside.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season steaks with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add steaks; cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Remove steaks from pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Place remaining 2 tablespoons oil in pan, then add 3 patties; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 3 patties.
- Place spinach in large microwave-safe bowl and cover; microwave on HIGH 4–5 minutes or until tender. Slice steak thinly across grain.
- Combine 1/2 cup cooking crème and béarnaise sauce mix in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 1 minute, stirring often, or until hot.
- Drain spinach, if needed; stir in remaining cooking crème and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide spinach over potato cakes, top with steak, and drizzle with sauce. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 490kcal; FAT 27g; CHOL 135g; SODIUM 1290mg; CARB 29g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 35g; VIT A 100%; VIT C 25%; CALC 20%; IRON 20%
Cheesecake Bar Cookies
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), divided
10 chocolate sandwich cookies
1 (8-oz) tub white chocolate cream cheese spread
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate cream cheese spread, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter. Coat 9-inch-square baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Crush cookies; combine with 3 tablespoons of the butter. Press mixture into dish; bake 5 minutes.
- Combine white chocolate spread, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and flour with electric mixer until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips; drop by spoonfuls onto crust. Drop spoonfuls of milk chocolate spread in between; press gently with back of spoon to swirl. Bake 20–25 minutes or until top is golden and firm. Let stand 8–10 minutes to cool. Cut into bars and serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 430kcal; FAT 27g; CHOL 50mg; SODIUM 180mg; CARB 45g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 0%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with fresh cut fruit.
- This recipe is great for weekend brunch or for a special occasion dinner. It's upscale, but done “Simple Meals” style.
Recipe Version 05/12-0088