Open-Faced Baked Reuben
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 (2 1/2-lb) flat-cut corned beef brisket
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 small head green cabbage (1 1/2 lb)
1 (14.5-oz) can vegetable broth
1/2 cup Russian dressing
2 tablespoons coleslaw seasoning mix
6 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
6 slices (or 1/2 loaf) Bakery rye bread
6 oz Swiss or aged white Cheddar cheese
1 (24-oz) container refrigerated mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion into large pieces.
- Place corned beef, onions, and caraway seeds in 13- x 9-inch baking dish; cover with foil. Bake 2–3 hours (1 hour per pound) or until tender. Transfer meat to cutting board; let stand 5 minutes or more before slicing.
- Discard outer cabbage leaves; cut cabbage into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups). Whisk in large bowl: broth, dressing, and seasoning mix until blended; stir in cabbage. Transfer mixture to same baking dish and combine with juices from corned beef. Bake 18–20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter over each bread slice and place on baking sheet; bake 8–9 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Slice cheese and place on top of bread.
- Heat potatoes in microwave following package instructions.
- Slice meat thinly across grain. Top bread with potatoes and meat slices; spoon cabbage and sauce over top. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 970kcal; FAT 65g; CHOL 245mg; SODIUM 3030mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 6g; PROTEIN 49g; VIT A 20%; VIT C 70%; CALC 40%; IRON 30%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend and carrot cake for dessert.
- This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker on LOW for 3–4 hours or until tender. Just combine steps 1 and 2 (excluding cabbage). Add cabbage during last 30 minutes of cook time.
Recipe Version home0048