Sausage and Peppers Pizza
1 lb Bakery pizza dough
1 small green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
3 links mild Italian sausage (about 1 lb)
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
3/4 cup pizza sauce
2 cups shredded (or fresh) mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand one hour (do not remove from bag until stand time completed).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop peppers and onion.
- Remove sausage casing: cut almost in half lengthwise (butterfly); turn sausage over and peel casing away.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add sausage; brown 5–6 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage, or until no pink remains. Let stand 2–3 minutes to cool.
- Prepare crust. For a thick crust: flour hands lightly and pat dough evenly into lightly greased or nonstick 16" pizza pan. For a thin crust: turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to desired thickness. Place on lightly greased or nonstick 16" pizza pan.
- Top crust with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, peppers, onions, and sausage. Brush outer edge of crust with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 18–25 minutes (depending on thickness of pizza) or until crust is golden, cheese is melted, and toppings are thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 380kcal; FAT 19g; CHOL 30mg; SODIUM 980mg; CARB 31g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 18g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 40%; CALC 25%; IRON 15%
Arugula and Tomato Salad
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
1 bag baby arugula leaves (4–5 oz)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (6-oz) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 cup peppercorn ranch dressing
- Place all ingredients in salad bowl.
- Toss and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 130kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 290mg; CARB 7g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 25%; VIT C 25%; CALC 10%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with a side of sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. Enjoy cheesecake for dessert.
- For an update to traditional pizza toppings, try sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and goat cheese.
Recipe Version piza0012