Salt Cod With Tomatoes
1 lb frozen boneless, salted cod fillets (bacalao)
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups water
1/2 cup sherry (or dry white wine)
1 cup sliced, stuffed green olives
1 bay leaf
- Soak and rinse cod fillets by placing in bowl and covering with water for 2 hours (or overnight). Change water several times to remove excess salt.
- Chop parsley and garlic.
- Chop green pepper, onion, and tomatoes (2 cups each); cut fish into large pieces (wash hands).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add fish; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until fish is tender and begins to brown slightly.
- Add peppers, onions, parsley, and garlic; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and cover; cook 5–8 more minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; can stand covered until ready to serve. Remove bay leaf and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 340kcal; FAT 22g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 2070mg; CARB 15g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 19g; VIT A 25%; VIT C 110%; CALC 10%; IRON 15%
Beans With Candied Garlic
24 oz fresh trimmed green beans
3 slices bacon
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in microwave-safe bowl and cover; microwave on HIGH 3–4 minutes or until beans are hot and tender.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Cut bacon into small pieces while adding to pan (wash hands); cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Slice garlic.
- Stir garlic slices into bacon; cook and stir 1 minute or until garlic begins to soften (do not brown garlic). Stir in sugar, then vinegar; cook and stir 2–3 minutes to dissolve sugar.
- Stir in green beans and pepper and cover; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until beans are coated and tender. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 140kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 85mg; CARB 19g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 20%; CALC 6%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with rice, Cuban bread, and pastries for dessert.
- The longer you soak the salt cod, the less salty it will be.
Recipe Version seaf0145