Brats in a Blanket
4 (3-oz) links frozen bratwurst, thawed
4 Bakery hot dog buns
8 thin slices provolone cheese
4 tablespoons country-style Dijon mustard, divided
1/2 cup canned sauerkraut (drained), divided
4 tablespoons smoked julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- Cook bratwurst in a skillet (or on a grill) following package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice hot dog buns open, if needed. Cut cheese slices in half. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard on inside of each bun. Place 2 half slices of cheese and bratwurst in each bun; top with 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, 1 tablespoon tomatoes, and top with 2 more half slices of cheese.
- Place each bratwurst on a 12x12-inch sheet of foil and roll up tightly. Place in oven (or return to grill); cook 10–12 minutes, turning occasionally, or until hot and cheese is melted. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 550kcal; FAT 35g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 1710mg; CARB 26g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 30g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 4%; CALC 30%; IRON 10%
German Potato Salad
1 (24-oz) bag baby potatoes, halved
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Slice potatoes.
- Cut bacon into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Combine potatoes and water; microwave on HIGH 7–8 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place bacon in pan; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until crisp. Stir in sugar and vinegar; cook and stir 1–2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir potatoes into bacon and cover; cook and stir 4–5 minutes or until potatoes begin to break down slightly and sauce has thickened. Remove pan from heat; stir in pepper. Cover and let stand until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 190kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 140mg; CARB 27g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 6%; CALC 8%; IRON 6%
- Complete your meal with fresh-cut fruit, coleslaw, and cupcakes for dessert.
- Bratwurst can also be grilled or broiled; just follow the package instructions.
- If using refrigerated, cooked bratwurst, the cook time will be less than noted.
Recipe Version 09/11-0104