1 (17.3-oz) box frozen puff pastry sheets
4 oz pâté (or liverwurst)
2 (8-oz) filet mignon steaks
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
8 oz fresh pre-sliced baby portabellas
1 cup cream sherry
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut each roll of pastry into thirds; do not unfold. (Return two squares to freezer for other use.) Place four squares on baking sheet 2–3 inches apart.
- Cut pâté into eight 1/2-inch-thck slices.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season steaks with salt and pepper (wash hands). Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add steaks; cook 1–2 minutes on each side (to sear).
- Transfer steaks to baking sheet. Roast steaks 8–10 minutes or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Bake pastries 10–12 minutes in same oven or until golden and puffed. Let steaks stand 5 minutes; then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same sauté pan, then add mushrooms; cook 3–4 minutes or until browned. Add sherry and cook 2–3 minutes or until reduced by about one-half.
- Stir in broth; cook 2–3 more minutes. Combine cornstarch and water; slowly add to sauce while whisking. Simmer 1–2 minutes to thicken sauce. Place puff pastries on serving plates; top each pastry with two pâté slices and one-fourth of the steak slices. Drizzle with sherry mushroom sauce. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 730kcal; FAT 44g; CHOL 105mg; SODIUM 1130mg; CARB 37g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 33g; VIT A 100%; VIT C 6%; CALC 2%; IRON 40%
1 (14-oz) package cookie dough (gingerbread or sugar)
1 (12-oz) jar red raspberry preserves
Juice of 1 lemon
5–6 oz fresh raspberries (or 1 1/2 cups other berries)
3/4 cup frozen light non-dairy whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Squeeze one-half lemon for juice (1 tablespoon).
- Place whole block of dough in pie pan. Bake 5 minutes.
- Press warm dough with back of spoon to spread evenly over bottom of pie pan. Bake 15–17 more minutes or until firm. Let stand to cool.
- Whisk preserves and lemon juice until blended; stir in raspberries. Cut cookie into 8 wedges; top with raspberry mixture and whipped topping. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 370kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 15mg; SODIUM 160mg; CARB 67g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 10%; CALC 0%; IRON 6%
- Complete your meal with steamed broccoli, mashed potatoes, and dinner rolls.
- Serve remaining pâté on crackers or toasted bread as an appetizer.
- Try the tart with your favorite prepared cookie dough or flavor of preserves.
Recipe Version beef0076