Cumin-Crusted Steaks With Mushroom Relish and Spinach
2 tablespoons shallots, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 lb lean grilling steaks (flat iron, filet, blade or round)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons mushroom bruschetta topping
1 teaspoon minced garlic
8 oz pre-diced fresh tomatoes (1 1/4 cups)
1 (5-oz) bag baby spinach leaves
- Preheat large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Combine cumin, fennel, salt, and pepper; season both sides of steaks with mixture. Coat steaks with cooking spray and place in pan; cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until 145°F (for medium-rare). Remove steaks from pan; cover to keep warm.
- Coat pan with cooking spray, then return to burner and reduce heat to medium. Place shallots in pan; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until soft. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and bruschetta topping; cook 1–2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
- Preheat second large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; coat with cooking spray. Place tomatoes and garlic in pan; cook 2–3 minutes or until softened. Add spinach; cook 1–2 minutes or until lightly wilted. Top each steak with the mushroom mixture and serve with spinach.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 230kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 70mg; SODIUM 320mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 31g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 45%; CALC 6%; IRON 30%
- Complete your meal with steamed vegetables, sourdough rolls, and fresh berries or cut fruit for dessert.
- The bruschetta topping can be served on crusty bread slices, but it also makes a great appetizer on slices of yellow squash, zucchini, and red bell peppers.
Recipe Version beef0074