Tomatillo Pork With Tortillas
1 (17-oz) package fully cooked pork roast (drained)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 extra-large cube chicken bouillon
1 (16-oz) jar tomatillo salsa
1 (15.5-oz) can dry pigeon peas (drained)
1 cup fresh pre-diced onions
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
4 medium-size flour tortillas
- Shred pork roast coarsely using two forks
- Place water in medium saucepan; stir in cornstarch until dissolved. Place pan on medium-high; heat until water begins to get hot. Crumble the bouillon cube and stir only one-half of the cube into the hot water until dissolved (discard other half).
- Stir in shredded pork, salsa, peas, and onions; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until mixture boils. Chop cilantro.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in cilantro and mayonnaise; cook and stir 5 minutes until flavors are blended. Spoon pork onto tortillas; top with desired toppings. Fold tortillas and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 400kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 80mg; SODIUM 2260mg; CARB 38g; FIBER 6g; PROTEIN 30g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 35%; CALC 4%; IRON 25%
Potato Chile Rellenos
Olive oil (or regular) cooking spray
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins, finely chopped
6 garlic-stuffed green olives, finely chopped
1 (15-oz) can diced potatoes (drained/rinsed)
2/3 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh pre-diced onions
4 large Cubanelle chile peppers
Nonstick aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Chop cilantro, raisins, and olives; place in medium bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except peppers) until well blended.
- Cut 1/2 inch off tip of pepper (leave stem-end intact). Make a slit down one side; remove seeds. Place peppers, cut-side up, in baking dish; stuff with potato filling, mounding extra filling on top. Cover dish with foil; bake 15 minutes.
- Remove foil. Bake 10 more minutes or until filling begins to brown. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 240kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 15mg; SODIUM 810mg; CARB 37g; FIBER 5g; PROTEIN 8g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 100%; CALC 15%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and black olives (for tortillas); finish with a caramel dessert.
- The pork recipe could easily be made vegetarian. Replace the pork with a meat substitute and prepare as directed. The baked chile peppers also contain no meat.
Recipe Version pork0046