Linguine With Cantaloupe and Sausage
1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
3 cups cantaloupe chunks
6 oz chicken (or pork) Italian sausage (2–3 links)
8 oz linguini pasta
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 cups baby arugula leaves (3 oz)
1/4 cup shredded Romano/Parmesan cheese
- Chop basil.
- Chop cantaloupe very finely.
- Bring water to a boil on high for pasta.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes. Remove casing from sausage (wash hands). Place sausage in pan; cook 3–4 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains. Remove sausage from pan.
- Place cantaloupe in same pan; cook and stir 8–10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and the melon is smooth.
- Cook pasta following package instructions.
- Stir cream, lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and red pepper into cantaloupe; cook and stir 1–2 minutes or until sauce has reduced by about one-half.
- Stir in basil, arugula, sausage, and pasta. Top with cheese; serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 460kcal; FAT 17g; CHOL 80mg; SODIUM 670mg; CARB 56g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 21g; VIT A 110%; VIT C 90%; CALC 15%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with a crusty baguette and a fruit tart for dessert.
- You can use a food processor to chop the cantaloupe into very fine pieces.
- Use 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt instead of the 1/2 cup heavy cream to reduce calories.
Recipe Version past0049