Orange Roasted Chicken
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 whole roasting chicken (about 3 1/2 lb)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place marmalade and broth in small saucepan on low; cook 4–5 minutes or until marmalade melts.
- Meanwhile, pat chicken dry; loosen skin from breast of chicken and around legs and wings. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over entire chicken, including inner cavity and under skin. Place chicken, breast side up, in 9- x 13-inch baking dish (wash hands). Remove orange sauce from heat.
- Bake chicken 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and brush with 1/3 of the orange sauce. Bake 45–60 more minutes, basting two more times, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness.
- Let chicken stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice chicken thinly and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 410kcal; FAT 26g; CHOL 130mg; SODIUM 340mg; CARB 9g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 33g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 6%; CALC 2%; IRON 10%
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 lb, rinsed)
3 fresh garlic cloves
1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons turbinado (raw) sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel sweet potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Chop garlic coarsely; place potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan.
- Add chicken broth; cover and cook on medium-high 10¿15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Remove potatoes from heat; do not drain. Mash potatoes with spoon; stir in remaining ingredients and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 140kcal; FAT 4g; CHOL 10mg;
SODIUM 320mg; CARB 24g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 2g;
VIT A 310%; VIT C 6%; CALC 4%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- 9- x 13-inch baking dish
- medium saucepan with lid
- small saucepan, basting brush
- cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Cooking the sweet potatoes in the reduced-sodium chicken broth gives great flavor without a lot of salt or fat.
Recipe Version poul0085