Wild Rice-Stuffed Turkey
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup wild rice blend
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 small Granny Smith apple
2 fresh sage leaves
1 boneless turkey breast half (about 3 lb)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 (4-inch) bamboo skewers
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place butter in pan, then stir in rice; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until toasted.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20–25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Peel apple and chop finely; chop sage finely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pat turkey dry; then butterfly turkey. (To butterfly, lay turkey breast flat. Slice through center of turkey, starting with thicker side, and leaving 1/2 inch uncut to hold top and bottom slices together.) Season both sides and under skin with salt and pepper (wash hands).
- Stir apple, sage, and garlic into rice; spoon rice mixture onto bottom half of turkey. Fold top half over stuffing; close edges with skewers. Place turkey, skin side up, in roasting pan; cover with foil. Bake 1–1 1/2 hours, removing foil during last 10–15 minutes of cook time, or until stuffing is 165°F. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Whisk apple juice and cornstarch until blended. Pour pan drippings from turkey into small saucepan; bring to boil on medium-high. Whisk in apple juice mixture and return to boiling. Slice turkey and serve with sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 260kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 125mg; SODIUM 170mg; CARB 9g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 40g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 15%
Roasted Potatoes and Squash
1 medium (or 2 cups pre-diced) butternut squash
3 red potatoes (about 1 lb)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel squash and remove seeds; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces; slice onion.
- Combine all ingredients; arrange in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake 50–60 minutes, stirring twice, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 100kcal; FAT 3.5g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 115mg; CARB 15g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 70%; VIT C 20%; CALC 2%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with green beans, a fresh salad blend, dinner rolls, and fruit pie for dessert.
- Cut the squash and potatoes into similar size pieces to ensure that they roast evenly.
Recipe Version poul0086