One-Pan Turkey, Vegetables, and Gravy With Turtle Pumpkin Pie
3 medium parsnips (rinsed)
5 medium carrots (rinsed)
4 celery ribs (rinsed)
2 large onions (rinsed)
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup flour
2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 smoked turkey breast (6 lb)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel parsnips and carrots. Cut parsnips, carrots, and celery into 1-inch-long pieces. Remove ends and peel from onions; cut both into quarters. Place vegetables, bay leaves, and salt into medium-size roasting pan.
- Place butter in microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Whisk in flour and 1 can of the chicken broth until blended. Pour into pan over vegetables. Place wire roasting rack in pan over vegetables.
- Place turkey on roasting rack or directly on top of vegetables (wash hands). Cover with foil and cook 1 hour.
- Cook 45–60 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Transfer turkey to carving board; let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Transfer vegetables to serving dish; remove and discard bay leaves.
- Whisk remaining chicken broth (up to 1 can, if needed) into pan gravy until desired consistency. Transfer gravy to a serving dish. Slice turkey and serve. (Makes 12 Servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 540kcal; FAT 24g; CHOL 170mg; SODIUM 320mg; CARB 13g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 63g; VIT A 70%; VIT C 10%; CALC 8%; IRON 20%
Turtle Pumpkin Pie
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, divided
1 (6-ounce) graham cracker pie crust
1 (2-ounce) package chopped pecans, divided
1 cup reduced-fat milk
2 (4-serving) boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ounces frozen non-dairy whipped topping (softened), divided
- Pour 1/4 cup of the caramel topping into pie crust; sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the pecans.
- Whisk together in large bowl, milk, pudding mixes, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping; spread mixture evenly into crust. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Top with remaining 1 1/2 cups whipped topping and 2 tablespoons each caramel topping and pecans just before serving. (Makes 10 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/10 recipe) 320kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 430mg; CARB 47g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 3g; VIT A 80%; VIT C 2%; CALC 6%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- medium-size roasting pan
- wire roasting rack
- microwave-safe bowl with lid
- large bowl
- 2 whisks
- vegetable peeler
- cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Recipe Version poul0099