Mushroom Fried Steak
1/4 cup flour
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
4 beef cubed steaks (1 1/2 lbs)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 (7-ounce) can mushroom pieces
1 (12-ounce) jar savory beef gray
- Place flour in shallow bowl; bread crumbs in second bowl. Beat eggs gently in third bowl until blended.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season both sides of steaks with seasoned salt and pepper. Dip steaks in flour (coating both sides) then dip into egg mixture (allowing excess to drip off). Finally dip into bread crumbs (wash hands).
- Place 2 tablespoons of the oil in pan; swirl to coat. Place 2 steaks in pan (wash hands); cook 3–5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature is 160°F (for medium). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Remove steaks from pan; cover to keep warm. Repeat steps with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 2 steaks; remove steaks when done.
- Add mushrooms and gravy to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits of food left on bottom. Heat 3–5 minutes or until hot. Return steaks to pan, turning to coat both sides with gravy, or serve gravy over steaks.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 560kcal; FAT 27g; CHOL 185mg; SODIUM 1170mg; CARB 32g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 45g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 8%; IRON 30%
Micro Scalloped Potatoes
1 teaspoon garlic butter
1/4 cup pre-diced onions
1 (15-ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1 tablespoon cooked bacon pieces
1 (20-ounce) bag refrigerated homestyle sliced potatoes, divided
1/2 cup French fried onions, divided
- Place garlic butter and onions in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 2 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in Alfredo sauce and bacon; microwave on HIGH 1-2 more minutes or until sauce is heated. Coat 2-quart microwave-safe dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes in dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the fried onions; then spoon one-third of the sauce over potatoes. Repeat layer two more times. Settle layers by pressing firmly with back of spoon. Top with remaining fried onions.
- Microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 240kcal; FAT 15g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 690mg; CARB 20g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 0%; CALC 4%; IRON 2%
12 ounces fresh broccoli florets (rinsed)
1/3 cup water
1/2 tablespoon garlic butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Break broccoli into bite-size pieces; place in microwave-safe bowl. Add water, cover, and microwave on HIGH 4 minutes, stirring once, or until desired tenderness.
- Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 40kcal; FAT 1.5g; CHOL 5mg; SODIUM 240mg; CARB 6g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 25%; VIT C 90%; CALC 4%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan, tongs
- 2-quart microwave-safe dish
- 2 large microwave-safe bowls (1 with lid)
- 3 shallow bowls, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- measuring utensils
This recipe can also be made with cubed pork or veal steaks.
Recipe Version home0016