1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
1 1/2 pounds beef for stew
large zip-top bag
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
1 cup Burgundy wine
1 tablespoon roasted garlic
4 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms (1/2 package)
2 bay leaves
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon browning sauce
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat slow-cooker on high. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
2. Combine flour, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and steak seasoning in zip-top bag; shake to mix. Add stew meat; seal tightly and shake to coat.
3. Place olive oil in pan and swirl to coat. Add beef and flour mixture. Cook 5-7 minutes, turning often to brown meat on all sides.
4. Wash and peel onion. Slice in half and dice into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup). Add to pan.
5. Pour wine slowly into pan with meat and stir to loosen meat drippings. (Caution should be taken when using a gas stove. Add the wine slowly to avoid flare-ups).
6. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, bay leaves, beef broth, and browning sauce. Bring to boil.
7. Place 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water in small mixing bowl. Mix together until creamy. Pour mixture into meat mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
8. Pour stew into slow cooker, reduce heat to low and simmer 8-10 hours.
9. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Green Beans Amandine
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen green beans
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Place beans in microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave on defrost for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on high for 1-2 minutes.
3. Melt butter in pan with seasoned salt.
4. Add sliced almonds and sauté until toasted and brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
5. Drain beans and add to pan. Cook for an additional 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve.
Calories 561kcal; Fat 25g; Cholesterol 116mg; Carbohydrate 17g; Fiber 5g; Protein 49g; Sodium 668mg
Daily Values: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 7%; Calcium 8%; Iron 35%
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Slow cookers are great because they don't heat up the house and you can have your dinner cooking while you're at work.
Recipe Version make0012