Pork Roast with Tropical Fruit Sauce
1 boneless pork roast (about 1 1/2 lbs)
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (24-ounce) jar tropical fruit in light syrup (pineapple and papaya), undrained
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F (lower one rack for pork; raise one rack for pies to bake above pork). Season pork with 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper; set aside. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 3–4 minutes.
- Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add pork to pan (wash hands); cook 5 minutes, turning often, or until well browned.
- Transfer pork to a foil-lined baking sheet (for ease in cleanup). Bake 35–40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (for medium). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Let meat rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- During last 15 minutes of bake time, combine in medium saucepan, fruit (with syrup), broth, molasses, pine nuts, cinnamon, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl until well blended. Add to sauce and return to boiling; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often, or until sauce begins to thicken. Slice pork and top with fruit sauce; serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 630kcal; FAT 34g; CHOL 105mg; SODIUM 550mg; CARB 47g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 35g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 140%; CALC 6%; IRON 20%
Blueberry Pouch Pie
2 prepared pie crusts
1 Granny Smith apple (rinsed)
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
1 (21-ounce) can blueberry (or peach) pie filling
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
nonstick aluminum foil
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon turbinado (raw) sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Remove pie crusts from package and let stand 4–5 minutes. Peel and core apple; cut (or dice) into small pieces and place in medium bowl. Squeeze juice of lemon over apple; stir until evenly coated. Stir in pie filling and allspice until well blended.
- Place 2 (10x12-inch) nonstick foil sheets on work surface. Unroll crusts over foil sheets. Pour half of filling into center of each pie crust. Fold edge of pie crust toward center, over filling. Work clockwise around edge of pie crust, overlapping folds, and leaving about 2–3 inches open in center. Repeat with second pie. Gently transfer pies (on foil) to baking sheet.
- Place butter in small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 20–30 seconds or until butter melts. Brush crusts with butter; sprinkle with sugar. Bake pies 25–30 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Transfer pies (on foil) to wire cooling rack. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. (Makes 12 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 270kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 150mg; CARB 41g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 4%; CALC 2%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- 2 baking sheets, wire cooling rack
- large sauté pan, medium saucepan
- small microwave-safe bowl
- mixing bowls, cooking spoons
- basting brush, meat thermometer
- tongs, knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Replace the blueberry pie filling and apples with your favorite combination of pie filling and fresh fruit.
Recipe Version pork0040