Stuffed Beef Roast
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon mojo marinade, divided
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
large zip-top bag
2 1/2 ounces chorizo (2 links)
1/2 cup pre-diced yellow onions
1/2 cup pre-diced green bell peppers
1 beef eye round roast (2 1/2–3 lbs)
1 tablespoon corn oil
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water, divided
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Place 3/4 cup of the mojo and garlic in zip-top bag. Gently shake to mix; set aside. Chop chorizo finely; combine in small bowl with onions, peppers, and 1 tablespoon mojo.
2. Create cavity for stuffing by using a long, thin sharp knife to cut an "X" through center of roast, making two lengthwise slits (without piercing opposite end). Insert handle of a wooden spoon to make sure hole is open. Fill with chorizo mixture, using handle to pack mixture in. (Reserve and chill extra mixture that has not been in contact with raw meat.)
3. Add roast to bag (wash hands). Squeeze bag tightly (force out extra air); seal tightly. Chill 3 hours (or overnight) to marinate.
4. To cook roast: preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add roast, discarding any residual marinade; wash hands. Cook 6–8 minutes, turning often, or until browned on all sides.
5. Add reserved chorizo mixture, 1/2 cup water, and tomato sauce; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 2 1/2–3 hours, turning occasionally, until tender and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Remove roast. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
6. Bring sauce to boil on medium-high. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in small bowl until blended. Pour in slowly, stirring continuously, until sauce is blended and slightly thickened. Slice roast and serve with sauce. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 330kcal; FAT 18g; CHOL 70mg; SODIUM 700mg; CARB 7g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 34g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 20%; CALC 4%; IRON 20%
16 ounces frozen yucca
3 green onions (rinsed)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup roasted red peppers
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons Complete Seasoning
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup corn oil
1. Cut yucca into chunks (1–2 inches) and place in food processor. Process until coarsely chopped (mixture will still be lumpy); scrape sides as needed.
2. Cut onions into short lengths; add to yucca. Add remaining ingredients (except oil); process until finely chopped and blended.
3. Place oil in large sauté pan; preheat on medium-high 5–6 minutes. IMPORTANT NOTE: Stovetops vary widely; oil should not reach smoke point (should sizzle when cakes added). Do not leave unattended.
4. Use two spoons, one to scoop and one to scrape, to add batter to pan (heaping tablespoons, 1–2 inches apart); flatten cakes with back of spoon. Cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden.
5. Drain cakes on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 390kcal; FAT 19g; CHOL 65mg; SODIUM 230mg; CARB 51g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 35%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
Utensils & Cookware
- large saucepan with lid, meat fork
- large sauté pan, turning spatula
- food processor, rubber spatula
- cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
If a large pressure cooker is available, the cook time can be reduced to less than one hour; refer to cooker guidelines.
Recipe Version make0015