Italian Sausage Cacciatore
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage (hot or mild)
1 pound steak-topper vegetables (fresh onions, peppers, and mushrooms)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups water
8 ounces multigrain penne pasta
1 (24-ounce) jar specialty marinara sauce
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add sausage; cover and cook 2–3 minutes, turning often, to brown all sides. Add vegetables, salt, and pepper; cover and cook 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions begin to brown.
- Stir in water and pasta; cover and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally at first, and then more often (to prevent sticking), until most of water is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to medium. Remove sausage from pan (let stand 5 minutes). Stir marinara sauce into pasta and cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
- Slice sausage into circles (or bite-size pieces) and stir back into pasta. Cook 1–2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 780kcal; FAT 44g; CHOL 85mg; SODIUM 1940mg; CARB 69g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 29g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 170%; CALC 10%; IRON 30%
Tomato Basil Toast
4–5 fresh basil leaves
4 plum tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
2 tablespoons fried peppers/onions
1/4 cup reduced-fat tomato/basil feta cheese
2 tablespoons sliced black olives
8 slices frozen Texas garlic toast
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rinse basil, rinse tomatoes, and drain artichokes; chop all finely. Chop peppers/onions; place all in medium bowl. Stir in cheese and olives until well blended.
- Arrange garlic toast slices on baking sheet. Bake 3¿5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Spoon tomato mixture over toast slices and serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
NOTE: Substitute 1 tablespoon basil herb paste for fresh basil.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 224kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 4mg; SODIUM 448mg; CARB 22g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 38%; CALC 2%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan with lid
- baking sheet, medium bowl
- tongs, cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Use fresh mozzarella cheese, instead of feta cheese, to reduce the sodium in the toast recipe.
Recipe Version 08/06-0041