-- Prepare chicken and begin to bake - 15 minutes
-- While chicken cooks, prepare bulgur - 15 minutes
-- Complete chicken recipe and prepare salad; serve - 20 minutes
Honey-Rosemary Chicken and Bulgur
1/4 cup + 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 1/2 cups orange juice, divided
6 1/2 cups water, divided
2 split chicken breasts (about 1 3/4 lb)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon ginger spice paste
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup pre-sliced fresh baby portabellas
1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 (5.25-oz) box tabbouleh wheat salad (1 cup bulgur)
1/2 cup light Asian sesame dressing
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk in large bowl: 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 4 cups water to dissolve salt. Add chicken; let stand 8-10 minutes (or up to 30 minutes) to brine (marinate).
2. Chop rosemary; combine with remaining 1 cup orange juice, honey, and ginger spice paste. Remove chicken from brine; season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken in baking dish (discard brine); brush with one-half of the rosemary mixture. Bake 30-35 minutes; baste chicken every 10 minutes with remaining rosemary mixture.
3. Chop onion. Preheat large non-stick sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions and mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes or until tender.
4. Combine egg and bulgur (omit seasoning packet). Reduce heat on mushrooms to low; add bulgur, then cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Stir in 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a simmer; cover and cook 8-10 minutes or until tender.
5. Remove chicken from oven; let stand 5-6 minute before slicing. Stir sesame dressing into bulgur. Slice chicken and serve.
Parmesan Kale Salad
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 of a (16-oz) bag fresh-cut kale leaves
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (2-oz) package slivered almonds (optional)
1. Squeeze lemons (1/4 cup juice) into salad bowl; whisk in oil, salt, and pepper until blended.
2. Cut tomatoes in half and add to dressing with remaining ingredients; toss and serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
-- Complete your meal with whole wheat bread, peach tea, and apple strudel for dessert.
-- For this recipe, don't use the spice packet from the tabbouleh. You can use it to flavor another side dish.