Publix Celebrates Earth Day with $40,000 Contribution to Sustainable Fisheries Partnership
LAKELAND, Fla., April 18, 2011 — In recognition of Earth Day, Publix Super Markets will donate $0.50 per lb., (up to $40,000), to Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) when customers purchase any Wild Domestic Shrimp April 17-27.
The mission of SFP is to maintain a healthy ocean and aquatic ecosystem by rebuilding depleted fish stocks and reducing the environmental impacts of fishing and farm fishing. The Publix donation would assist SFP in providing fisheries along the Gulf with the resources and tools needed to operate in a more sustainable manner.
“As a retailer passionately committed to eco-savvy practices, our support of SFP speaks directly to our sustainable philosophy of meeting today’s demands without compromising what’s essential for tomorrow,” said Maria Brous, Publix media and community relations director. “We are uniquely positioned to share information with our customers to enrich the quality of life for our communities and aquatic ecosystems, all while doing our part to preserve and conserve.”
In addition to the SFP contribution, Publix will celebrate Earth Day by offering customers:
- $1 off coupon for GE 10, 13, 20 or 26-watt Energy Smart CFL two-pack light bulbs and a free Publix reusable bag (valued up to $0.99). Coupons are available at www.publix.com/sustainability April 14-27 and expire April 30.
- The 2010-2011 Newspapers in Education (NIE) Go Green tabloid filled with information on how customers and their children can take part in caring for the community (also available on www.publix.com/sustainability).
- A free reusable bag key chain on April 22 for using or purchasing a reusable bag.
- Environmental Awareness Brochures available at all Publix Information Centers that include facts about how the company stays green.
- And throughout April, customers will see messages about Publix’s environmental efficiencies and receive their own environmental tips to get into a green routine. This messaging will be provided to customers through in-store signage.
About Sustainable Fisheries Partnership
Founded in 2006, SFP is an independent, non-governmental 501(c) 3 organization focused on sustainable seafood practices and marine and fresh water conservation.
About Get into a Green Routine™
In 2001, Publix created Get Into a Green Routine™, a program for environmental responsibility. The program began with education and emphasis on energy conservation and has extended to waste reduction, recycling and conservation of other resources, including water. Through Get Into a Green Routine™ and other conservation projects such as lighting and refrigeration improvements, Publix has saved more than 1 billion kilowatt hours which equals a reduction of more than 600,000 tons of greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide) and enough kilowatt hours to power 65,000 homes for a year (assuming the typical home uses 1,350 kWh a month for a year). The program has helped reduce companywide electricity usage by more than 8 percent in existing stores and by 23 percent in new store designs.